Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Change and Hope. Yes, we can.

Foreword

I decided to revamp the way I blog. I know my posts tend to be a bit long and sometimes the topics of conversation may not be to your interests, like my incessant bike blogs. So I partitioned them nicely in different sections. Enjoy, and if you like my posts, you can deliver KFC to my house to show your gratitude.

_________________________________________________________________

Obama Ramblings

3 weeks into the Obama presidency and so far, to the naked eye, he seems to be rather disappointing. Here are some of his screw-ups that I noticed.

1) His cabinet nominations have been shot down due to them defaulting on their taxes, some from the thousands to the hundreds of thousands. Obama has taken full responsibility for this incident.

2) The closure of Gitmo has also drawn lots of flak. Where will the detainees go? Why should the freedom of Americans be endangered? Blah, blah blah.

3) Lastly, among other problems, Obama's stimulus package has received objections from both parties, more so from the Republicans. One republican went on to say "This isn't a stimulus package, its a spending package."

Aiyoh. I thought Obama was starting to faulter. But after thinking for a while, I realise it's not his fault. For the first point, his nominations should have been vetted properly, and this can be blamed on Obama, which he took full responsibility for on national tv. BUT isn't not paying income taxes a crime? I mean, this points to the corruption within their own government, their own people. Maybe he trusts people too much.

For point no. 2, Gitmo, in the first place is illegal. In almost all respects of its operations, it breaches human rights spelled out by the UN and Geneva convention. What he is trying to do is also to appease the international community, to show that his administration will do things properly, with justice. Not just throw you in prison, just cause they can.

Lastly, for the last point. Wah. Talk about stupid. Here the Singapore government is talking about spending more on infrastructure and skills training and improvement. We are spending money, digging into reserves? Why? Because spending does STIMULATE the economy. Our neighbour has been doing it for decades, government contract after government contract, employs people, and creates jobs. So you need to spend.

I think Obama is facing a lot of opposition from all sides. Too bad their government can't be like ours. Decisive and quick footed, because there's only one party. No bickering. Its sad to see a President who is capable of hope and change, who is stifled by his own countrymen who want nothing to change.

Why do I care so much? Because the US economy is our economy. I can't find a temp job now, cos the economy is crap. My stocks are stuck in limbo, for a long time to come. And I need the economy to be on recovery now, cos when I graduate in 3 plus years time, I want a good job man! haha.

And yes, I've been watching too much of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.. Haha. Go to http://www.thedailyshow.com/ and click full episodes.

Its good stuff, seriously. Good, relatively unbiased view US politics, draped in lots of humor. Wish my GP teacher had given me this link, then I wouldn't have had to read newsweek (yawn). And yes, Mrs Seng, you were a bad GP teacher. Thanks for leaving the class to rot 2 months before the A levels. Luckily, I HAD decent english that time. Its all gone now, thanks to the blue people in CD.

__________________________________________________________________

Biking, as usual

Wah, did you know that Tamp MTB park now has undergone a makeover? New sections, new obstacles, with the original ones rebuilt. And there's this new section at the end of the jungle trail, where in my opinion is a fat-ass killer. Cos I almost died climbing the zig-zagging hill. And on top of that, there was another short burst up another hill, AND another slow long gradual climb.

I would describe that hill as 20% technical, 80% a fat man killer. I almost had a heart attack, really.

Going again tmw.. Whee!

Oh, and the fall at Bukit Timah last week has really scared me shitless. I now find the whole experience of trails scary again. It feels like I just started biking.. Just when I said, Bukit Timah makes tamp look like east coast park, I fall and hit the reset button. Nvm. Tmw I shall ram everything again.

___________________________________________________________________

Facebook, Finally

I finally got facebook. Add me ok?

I got it cos I was so bored at home, and I realised that everyone had one even my old primary school teacher has an account.

____________________________________________________________________

Farewell, Daryl

Good luck, Daryl, and may you succeed in whatever you want in life. Your party was awesome, for the most part.

And thanks for letting me strangle you after the party for sabotaging me.

____________________________________________________________________

This concludes the first issue of the revamped dontbeaboob. Thanks for reading. Bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home